This weekend I completed a new skirt for bellydance performances. The pattern is Simplicity 2158 and I used the View C skirt. It is a four-paneled trumpet shape that is made for wovens but I used this turquoise foil 4-way stretch lycra that I found at Joann's last year. Instead of two front slits per the pattern, I just left one.
Hand sewing on the loose beads and sequins took approximately 10 hours over the last few weeks. The slit just has one row on each side that covers up the machine-sewn hem stitching. The bottom edge has the same style over the hem stitching, as well as the style that goes around the edge from the front to the back with each stitch.
The skirt will be worn with this professional-quality bra and belt set that I recently acquired. The set is used and I have to make a couple of adjustments for it to fit me before I can wear it. The belt is two identical pieces- the front as shown below and the back that is not in this photo. They connect at the sides with large metal hooks & eyes.
I experimented with using 3-inch wide waistband elastic, instead of doing the usual casing with 1-inch or 3/4-inch non-roll elastic. The elastic is sewn to the fabric folded over on the inside. The skirt will have to first pass the 2-hour test of dance class followed by troup practice to make sure the waistband is ok, but I can always adjust it if necessary.