check out my other blog, Fall Creek Hiker, for my hiking adventures:

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Two Versions of Rain Shed #140 Day Pack

A friend and I made the large and small versions of the Rain Shed #140 Day Pack pattern yesterday and today. All of the fabric, webbing, and hardware was from my stash, except I did recently order more of the 3M brand sew-on reflective trim from The Rain Shed in Oregon.

Her version is Coated 1000 Denier Cordura nylon, #5 coil zipper tape with non-locking pulls, polypropylene webbing, and a couple of small pieces of nylon grossgrain ribbon (the durable outdoor type of grossgrain, not the type that regular fabric stores sell). I only had a small remnant piece of the Cordura and it was just right for the smaller pattern version.


The pattern gives instructions for two different ways to make the shoulder straps and she chose the version that is all webbing. These straps are made from 2" wide seatbelt webbing and reflective trim.

The front top seam is sewn evenly, but I forgot to push that fabric out from the inside for this pic:

My larger version is made from lightweight coated nylon fabric that I found on clearance somewhere years ago for about $1 per yard. The top hanging loop on my pack is nylon grossgrain ribbon instead of polypro webbing. The reflective trim is wonderfully noticeable when light shines on it in the dark- the only light in the pic below is the camera flash.

 
My shoulder straps are made from the same fabric and scraps of thin poly quilt batting the middle.





I wanted my pack to be a lightweight, thin fabric so I can easily stuff it in a suitcase when traveling. I'm unsure if I would recommend a similar fabric to anyone else because the zippers get stuck in the fabric flaps that cover them. This doesn't happen with the version made with the heavy Cordura.




2 comments:

  1. These look like wonderful day packs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joy! They are very noticeable on darker winter days.

      Delete